What do the Beatles, Heidi Klum, and the National Acrobats of The People’s Republic of China have in common? In order to perform in the United States, they had to get approval from the government. All foreign artists and entertainers who want to work in America must go through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. 

Foreign guest artists must normally obtain one of the following:

  • O-1 Visa for Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement;
  • P-1B Visa for a Member of an Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group;
  • P-2 Visa for an Individual Performer or Part of a Group Entering to Perform Under a Reciprocal Exchange Program; or
  • P-3 Visa for an Artist or Entertainer Coming to Be Part of a Culturally Unique Program.

Each of these temporary visas is appropriate in different situations. Filing for the wrong type of visa can significantly delay an entertainer’s entrance into the country.